There once was a man that cried wolf.
He cried wolf all the time.
He complained of a heart attack.
He complained of pains everywhere.
He complained with pains even in his butt.
Once day he cried FIRE.
Once again we believed him but were shocked that the CRY was for real.
The man who cries wolf is my dad. Friday afternoon I recieved a phone call from my sister. This is basically how the phone call went.
Aye: Have you talked to dad?
Me: NO what is wrong now.
Aye: His field is on fire.
Me: What do you mean his field is on fire?
Aye: He said his field is on fire
Me: Did he start it?
Aye: Laughing that is what I asked.
Me: Let me call him and see what is going on.
Now I am pretty sure there were some not so great words in the mix here but you get the idea.
So I get off the phone with my sister and I call my dad. I did see that he had called me before my sister.
The phone call was basically the same except for did you call the fire department and his reply is No I am getting ready to leave for work. But the smoke is really bad. I am sure this was the first time during that conversation that I called him and idiot. I told him to call the fire department. So I then call my mom to come over and watch the kids so I can once again head up to his house and take care of things.
Once I get up there there are about 4 fire trucks and a few other vehicles. I had to park in the neighbors drive and walk over. When I got there I was actually shocked on how much had burned down and how by the grace of God it didn’t touch the house. I walked around checking to see how much or the field had burned down. The fire department was still there making a few rounds to make sure it was put out.
The odd thing about all of this is that there is a turkey pin there with 3 or 4 turkeys in it. The fencing is plastic and electric. You know the fire circled the fence and didn’t touch it. It burned a few inches from it but NEVER touched it at all.
My dad left to go to work since I was there and could take care of whatever needed to be done. The fire department doesn’t know how it started but they are thinking that since it is so dry out and that there was a 2X4 in the field that maybe a piece of glass was on it and the sun hit it just right and started the fire. Who knows. I am glad that nobody was hurt and it was just a field. But later I did find out it was about 30-45 minuets after he noticed the fire that he called the fire department. We aren’t sure if he was in shock or really stupid enough to believe that it would die out on it’s own. It was a large space and it is a good thing he called when he did because the house would have been the next thing to go.